[PD] Help with MIDI communication under Windows 2000

Martin Dupras martin.dupras at uwe.ac.uk
Fri Oct 25 16:56:57 CEST 2002

Hi,

I need to send MIDI data from a sensor-capture controller box (the MIT
Handyboard), which is already connected to my PC on serial port 1.

Under Irix, that used to be very simple; I would simply tell the
computer that there was a MIDI device on serial port 1 and PD would read
that. No such luck with Win32.

Short of buying an external MIDI interface, is there a way to trick the
PC into thinking that there is a MIDI interface on a serial port, and
just read from that?

I can imagine a more common scenario where one would connect two PCs
together via the serial port, and trick both machine into thinking there
are MIDI interfaces between them.

I would have thought that otherwise I could use the 'serial' object, but
that only seems to handle output, not input

Any advice?

Thanks!

- martin