[PD] Netsend Jitter Elimination

Søren Bovbjerg sb at cvmt.dk
Thu Nov 7 08:03:45 CET 2002

> I'd love to find out more about your 3D sound engine for PD.  Is the
> source code available?

No, nothing has been made public yet. I have cooked up a few externals to
deal with 4, 5.1 and 8 speaker arrays (8 in a cube). They also deal with
distance calculation and "camera" rotation around the 3 axis using OpenGL
terminology.
Then there is as c++ stub that eventually has to be included into vr++. It
takes care of net connection, voice allocation/management, formatting net
messages for PD and other stuff that will limit the stress on PD.

> I am starting work on a PD cluster with the idea of using many computers
> to generate a 3D array of speakers with the advantage of spreading out
> processing as well.

In my situation the sound server will run on a single machine in either a
single/multiprocessor or cluster environment. I have made no attempts to
split the sound process out on more machines. I fear that the precision I
requre will not be possible.

If you are looking for at multi processor / multi threading programming
framework vr++ may be of interest. It can be used for other things than VR
aswell :-) (You should contact Henrik R. Nagel - his address is on the web
page somewhere).

Cheers
Soeren