3d panning [was Re: [PD] Netsend Jitter Elimination]

Soren Bovbjerg sb at cvmt.dk
Thu Nov 7 11:05:49 CET 2002

> How is it compared to VBAP? (which is the only 3d system I used)

I have only tried vbap briefly. A good thing about vbap is the possibility of
placing speakers in a setup message. I have hardcoded these positions for
now. I have not tested the positioning

I am using power panning with some filtering and reverb(s) to simulate the
sound in the virtual room.
The externals takes object x,y,z,camerax,y,z and cameraanglex,y,z (angles are
computed externally from GL eyepoint, lookat and upvector positions to reduce
the net data amount). The externals outputs channel levels (with distance
calculaion), distance (used for calculating doppler) and a normalized z value
(-1->1) in 2D speaker setups (4 and 5.1) which I plan to use for some
binaural filtering experiments to simulate vertical positions in these setups.

Filtering and reverb is done in standard PD (or other libs) objects.

Cheers
Soeren