[PD] Feature suggestion: pd non-realtime

Johannes Taelman Johannes.Taelman at rug.ac.be
Sat Nov 9 00:05:31 CET 2002

I was just thinking about this:

Sometimes realtime is not important and even unpractical (realtime in the
1:1 time sense, not as in 'realtime priority'). For example when I want to
prototype a certain audio-processing architecture (quick and dirty - just
for proof-of-concept), but the processing is demanding more than the CPU
can keep up with in realtime. Another case is batch processing audio-files
which could run much faster than in realtime.

Practically this would (only?) imply that all audio IO is skipped, and the
scheduler runs everything as fast as possible. All audio IO should be done
with files (by using the regular sound file IO objects).

Does this sound useful to anyone else?

ahem - wait a second - just started pd -noaudio and I can still turn on
DSP and pd seems to process audio wihtout IO. Measuring the bang~-interval
gives 0ms instead of reflecting the audio buffersize. The delay object
also still delays everything in realtime. It looks like what I want is
already possible as long as the patch does not use metro, delay or timer.
Cool!

regards,
 j#|@