[PD] Portaudio question/problem

David Sabine dave at davesabine.com
Sun Nov 10 06:34:20 CET 2002

Hi All,

Portaudio crashes on my computer when I use PD.  (But only about 1 in 10 tries).  I can use PD almost free of errors, but 10% of the time - give or take 50% - PD crashes when I execute pd.exe with the -asio flag.

I've been quiet about this problem because I wasn't certain of the cause.  But I KNOW FOR CERTAIN that it's Portaudio.

My computer:
Windows XP Service Pack 1
MOTU 2408mkII
PD 0.35 test 4 (but the problem has been occuring on my computer for months - since approx 0.26 when I started using PD with -asio)

I thought perhaps PD was causing the problem...but after some investigation I realized that I can produce the exact same problem when I execute the following Portaudio Diagnostic executables: available at http://www.portaudio.com/downloads.html  (Windows ASIO package)

pa_fuzz.exe (1 in 3-5 attempts)
pa_devs.exe (1 in 3-5 attempts)
patest_sine.exe (1 in 3-5 attempts)
patest_multisine.exe (0 in 40 attempts) did NOT cause the problem even after 40 or so attempts.

With each error, I can see in the Windows Error Report that the AppName (any of the above) caused a problem in module named "PCI-324 ASIO.drv" (which is the Mark of the Unicorn proprietary ASIO driver software.)  The MOTU drivers works without flaw in other applications on my computer.

SO MY QUESTION IS:
Does PD 0.35 test 4 use the latest version of the Portaudio software?
If NO, then has the newer version been tested?
If YES, then should this error report go to the Portaudio email list?

Many thanks
Regards,
Dave Sabine