[PD] 1d cellular automata patch

wwcarpen wwcarpen at bcpl.net
Wed Nov 13 07:09:23 CET 2002

hello, just thought i would share the cellular automata patch i was working on

wwcarpenCA.pd is the main patch
give it some time to load, because there is a loadbang that creates 1250
objects in a subwindow.
it also requires the gem and zexy libraries

overall, i am happy that i got it to do exactly what i set out to do. but i'm
dissapointed that it is pretty complex for what is supposed the be the
simplest program capable of creating complex behavior. fundamentally i think
that it would be much easier if i was using gridflow, (ahem, windows .dll,
somebody, anyone? pleeeeease?) because much of the extra code seems to be
coming from dealing with my manually made grid matrix. am i correct in
thinking that i could make a much bigger window with gridflow without having
to worry much about using cpu? my laptop starts to stutter if i use much more
than 1250 squares in gem. as far as what i have right now, one way to speed up
the scrolling at least 49x would be to have it analyze just the last line of
squares rather than the whole window after all the square information is
transposed up a line. I spent a couple days trying to get this to work, but i
cant seem to locate the problem, (if anyone is brave enough to help me here,
what i thought would work is to have a separate 'calculate' bang that is
triggered after the 'scroll down' bang which in turn sends a 1226 msg to the
int object rather than  23.)
the purpose of the demux objects is to handle line wrapping correctly.

wwcarpen