[PD] background pics in pd/quicktime codecs in gem

Orm Finnendahl finnendahl at folkwang-hochschule.de
Fri Nov 15 23:05:26 CET 2002

Am Freitag, den 15. November 2002 um 12:38:10 Uhr (-0600) schrieb chris clepper:
> >I've been very happy with mpeg 4 (divx codec on windows) !
> >about the keyframe issue >> when rendering try 'every frame is a keyframe'
> >
> >I get very good performance this way (mixing, scratching, texturing,...)
> >
> >I do limit the movie dim to 320x240 and the gemwin dim to 800x600.
> >
> >hey, it's not broadcast quality but it's funky realtime this way!
> >

> why don't you try something like photo-jpeg or another intra-frame
> codec in an avi file and report back.  i bet the quality goes up and
> your performance doubles.

thanks for all the help. I tried to convert to avi, but that won't
work for me with Gem.

The movie was done with Macromedia Director and shows some animation
of compositional procedures with rudimentary mouse interaction
(clicking to switch scenes). I would like to port that to Linux and I
would like to keep the mouse interaction that's why I thought I'd use
Gem. Not only does the avi movie look pretty awful (playing it with
mplayer) compared to the crisp image of the shockwave animation, it is
impossible to load the movie with Gem. I don't know very much about
movie formats and codecs so all your help is appreciated, but I still
don't have a clue, which tool to use to convert it into which format
in order to be able to open it in pd/Gem.

Thanks for the hint with ggee's external. I already solved most of it
by writing a program (in lisp) which generates a patch, which
generates the necessary drawing in another pd window (using plot and
the like). I tried to avoid it, but it looks quite cool and it is
fascinating to generate interactive graphical interfaces automatically
from scratch by clicking a button...

--
Orm