[PD] IRC

I. Read iread at skorrecords.net
Sat Nov 16 01:40:16 CET 2002

>I wanted more feedback from the list guys: do you think it would be a good
>idea?

Personally, I'm in favor of  a combined pd/jmax  IRC channel. Last time
I tried to join 'the' pd channel (I checked the mailing archives, I
think perhaps there has been more than one proposed), I don't recall it
being very active. I don't have any first hand experience with the jMax
chat crowd, but I would imagine the user base is (a) similarly sized and
(b) similarly inclined as the pd crowd, even prior to considering
technical compatability between the two programming environments. Just
like newsgroups, mailing lists and community web sites like
pure-data.org, IRC is one of the tools that we have as internet users to
develop interchange about pd.

<soapbox> I don't think it's unfair to say that pd has a relatively
'small but fervent following'. Regardless, it is one of the most
functional and extensible languages available to us as
musicians/artists/academia. Although open source software addresses many
of the complaints that electronic musicians have with their software
such as, high price, not flexible, not reliable, open source software is
less frequently used than it's commercial counterparts. As members of
this list, this community, we are able to provide counter-examples to
this sort of 'anti-free software' sentiment. An active IRC channel is
representative of a responsive internet community and is a great way to
share knowledge quickly and effectively so that we all may be more
familiar with the tools, ideas and concepts common to us as users of pd
& jMax. This is how as a community we may provide useful, concrete
examples to those who would otherwise be experimenting with these way of
creating and manipulating sound or video. </soapbox>

I would really like to see this happen. I've found it fairly difficult
to locate like-minded music geeks of the pd/jMax variety, so being able
to meet in an IRC channel brings everything closer to tangibility.

cheers-

Ian