[PD] IRC

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 19 06:07:21 CET 2002

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, I. Read wrote:

> being very active. I don't have any first hand experience with the jMax
> chat crowd, but I would imagine the user base is (a) similarly sized and
> (b) similarly inclined as the pd crowd, even prior to considering
> technical compatability between the two programming environments.
[...]
> I would really like to see this happen. I've found it fairly difficult
> to locate like-minded music geeks of the pd/jMax variety, so being able
> to meet in an IRC channel brings everything closer to tangibility.

The jMax crowd is much smaller imho. The jMax _chat_ crowd is about the
same size as the PD chat crowd. However, as it is now, an overwhelming
majority of discussions occurring on that channel are about video
(Pixonix/VDSP and GridFlow), not audio nor midi nor 3D.

I hope that a channel in which there are both people interested in audio
and people interested in video, will motivate more people to do both at
once. Similarly, I hope that a channel about both jMax and PD will cause
one program to import features of the other program, by circulation of
ideas and wishes. Not sure this will happen, and I don't have real
expectations in that direction; but certainly a bigger channel would feel
livelier on average.