[PD] CVS or not CVS ??

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Nov 19 07:21:20 CET 2002

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Thomas Grill wrote:

> Hi Yves,
> the same applies to my code, but i'm sure that the cvs-participants do
> not alter the code of another author without notice.
> I'd like to support the cvs for convenience reasons. Packing a release
> (for 3 or more platforms in my case) is a few hours' work every time. I
> hope that i can avoid all the minor releases and bugfixes that way.

I know I was flogging this earlier on the pd-dev list, but Yves and Thomas
seem to share my concerns about free write access.  It is possible to set
up commit permissions, then people don't have to give up any control over
their code to put it up on pure-data.sf.net and the community gets the
benefit of a centralized repository.

Here's what Sourceforge has to say about permissions:

--
How can I place restrictions on developer write access to my repository?

    While SourceForge.net does not currently provide the means to restrict
developer write access to a project CVS repository, you may make use of
the cvs_acls script, provided in the CVS software distribution. The
cvs_acls script is used in conjunction with the commitinfo file in the
CVSROOT module for your project, as to limit developer access to specific
portions of the repository.
--

CVS provides 'commitinfo' for this very
purpose, combined with this perl script 'cvs_acls'

I'll take a shot at setting this up if someone is interested.

.hc

	zen
	   \
	    \