[PD] CVS or not CVS ??

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Nov 19 16:13:44 CET 2002

Hi,
Yves Degoyon hat gesagt: // Yves Degoyon wrote:

> ))) thank you sooo much, but can this be done
> without putting them in CVS ?
>
> the problem is not only unauthorized modifications
> ( of unauthorized pd ) but all the amount of work
> to set up acls and putting the objects in CVS.
>
> i don't even know where to start.

You're on linux, right? Then you probably already have all needed
software (on your distro's CDs)

Guenther has written a great introduction for Pd developers, who want
to use the CVS. It's on the front page of pure-data.sf.net

Basically you start with creating an account at sourceforge. Just go
to any SF page (e.g. http://sourceforge.net/projects/pure-data), try
to visit "my sf.net" and create a new account or go directly to
http://sourceforge.net/account/register.php

After this procedure, you tell Guenther your SF name, and he will add
you to the members list for pure-data.

After that, you can follow the instructions from pure-data.sf.net to
using pd-CVS.

And after that, working is much easier that before, IMO.

You keep a source tree at home, and when you are done editing, you
just type "cvs commit" to put your changed code to sf.net

If you messed up your code, you can just "cvs update" to come back to
a previous version, that's still on CVS. Even versions of previous
files are available there. Using CVS is too nice to be missed.

ciao