[PD] patch bay

Robert Figura rfigura at aubergine.zwischengesicht.de
Mon Nov 25 17:01:22 CET 2002

On 24 Nov, João Miguel Pais wrote:

> I am thinking about how to build a patch bay for a live-impro patch. For
> example, with 3 or 4 different input sources, and more 3 or 4 effects, one
> input source to be connected with several effects in series
> (input->fx1->fx2->...). The ideia would be that like on an analog patcher,
> it would be easy to make fast changes between (radically) different setups
> during performance.
>
> For this to work, all audio signals (sources and effects) would have to go
> through the central router. I was trying this with multiplex~, but it does
> not allow feedback inputs - when something which comes from it's output is
> connected to the input, the object switches off processing: for example
> osc~ -> mux~ input 1 -> freeverb~ -> mux~ input 2.
> Lacking of more ideas, I am thinking of keeping the connections window on
> edit mode, and edit them manually during performance just simply by putting
> the wires on and off, like an analog version. It won't be so fast and
> efficient.
>
> Has anyone thought / developed something similar before?

I use a patch matrix generator. A patch matrix has n*n+n toggles,
receives signals by catch~ (so send to using throw~) and outputs using
send~ (so recieve using r~) the technology is *very* simple, so find
out. (a switch~ can be enough and efficient!). Note: You can send
sequencer messages (qlist) to toggle objects.

One can send object creation messages (which look similar to .pd files)
to pd canvases and dynamically create a patch. Try making a generator so
you don't have to know n in advance. See my other mail for a simple
token substitution external.

I once built a matrix of faders by hand-connecting a number of delays.
(My idea was 1 tune, 18 delays, and 1 piece of music) This is very
flexible but also feels quite strange in practical use. Two mice and a
sequencer would have been very handy but now i'm using bitmaps... but
i'm off topic again... ;)

Ciao
- Robert Figura

--
/* mandlsig.c v0.23  (c) by Robert Figura */
I=1702;float O,o,i;main(l){for(;I--;putchar("oO .,\nm>cot.bitamea\