[PD] Audio I/O stuck, win2kpro

Martin Dupras martin.dupras at uwe.ac.uk
Wed Nov 27 20:51:46 CET 2002

Hi,

I'm having the dreaded "audio I/O stuck" problem for the first time.
I've searched the archives to try to find a quick fix, but it seems to
be a recurring problem with no obvious solution. Is that the case?

I've got the problem running on two machines: my production machine
(which has a hammerfall9652, no problem until today) and a brand new
Compaq laptop. The problem happens in both cases.

On the production machine, I've added some -path and -lib flags to my
the .bat file that launches pd. I'm not quite sure yet which external or
library is actually causing the problem (it may take a while to
troubleshoot, having to restart each time.) After the audio gets stuck,
even if I restart, just launching pd.exe on its own gets "audio I/O
stuck", which I don't understand.

What does I/O stuck mean? Does that mean the drivers are hogged by some
other application? Or do I have a bogus 'lock' file somewhere that makes
windows think the driver is in use?

Which raises the question: is there a way to explicitly free the driver
right before launching pd?

Thanks!

- martin