[PD] Random without repeating numbers

.--- ... saylor at attbi.com
Fri Nov 29 19:06:03 CET 2002

Hi

> > ( 02.11.28 13:19 +0000 ) Enrique Franco:
> > > I mean, for instance, if the random range is 5 I want to get a different
> > > number each time.

> On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, .--- ... wrote:
> > But that's not random!!

( 02.11.29 11:14 -0500 ) Mathieu Bouchard:
> It's a Markov chain with a probability matrix of:

Then that's not random!

"Almost always, such numbers are also required to be independent, so that
there are no correlations between successive numbers."
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RandomNumber.html

I *am* splitting hairs here. I know that. This discussion has little to
do with the needs of the pd user anymore. [maybe I'm just being too
deterministic in my definition of randomness ... ]

--