[PD] Acoustic conversion.

Alex from Idoia alex at idoia.com
Sat Feb 1 18:21:32 CET 2003

Hello,
I would like to understand the purpose of the objects [rmstodb]
[dbtorms] [powtorms].
I understand (...) what are Decibels and RMS (not Power, sorry) but I
do not know how to use them in pd.
For example when using the object [*~] I know that the value 0 in its
right inlet correspond to a mute but I have not idea what is the
maximum I can set before distorting the signal in my speaker. Also, if
I play a sound file from my hard disk, I do not know how to set a
vslidder for example to set the volume of my file. Finaly, when using
[threshold], I do not know how the arguments are expressed ,db, rms
other ?
If someone could clarify that for me that would be great.
Thanks a lot.