[PD] tcl/tk installation problems

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Feb 2 10:03:38 CET 2003

Hallo,
nick phillips hat gesagt: // nick phillips wrote:

> i'm having some problems with a pd installation on a debian woody system
> (2.4.20 kernel) which i'm having a hard time fixing. i've managed to install
> pd on linux successfully several times on this same machine, but i recently
> had a hard drive failure and have had to reinstall everything. now when i
> run ./configure from the pd/src directory i get error messages about "no X11
> found"

This is bad, X11 should be found, I guess.

> and "no tcl/tk header found." I have both installed on my system - X
> is in the usual /etc/X11 directory and tcl/tk is in /usr/include/tcl8.3h.
> i've tried adding a softlink to tk.h in my /usr/include directory but still
> pd can't find my tcl/tk headers.

I remember, I had to set that link on Debian, too, like
/usr/include/tk.h -> /usr/include/tcl8.3/tk.h

> where is pd searching? do i need to add softlinks to another
> directory or add a qualifier to ./configure? any help would be
> appreciated, i'm a little stuck at the moment!

Actually I never had any problem besides this tk-symlink on Debian.
Could you post the file config.log (gzipped) after a configure-run?

> (as an aside, i downloaded a beta debian package of pd
> (pd_0.35.0-test11_i386.deb) which installed ok.

You should try to get pd_0.36, but maybe that's what you're trying
anyways. pd_0.35 is old, but pd_0.35-test11 is way old and it might be
one of those test versions with more bugs...
ciao