[PD] subpatchers/abstractions (was: pd and jack)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 3 07:16:00 CET 2003

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > I said I'd like abstractions that are included inside .pd files as if they
> > were subpatchers, but otherwise work like abstractions.
> I'd disagree here. Subpatches and abstractions (in Pd) are
> fundamentally different.

You are misunderstanding what I am saying. I simply want to be able to
save abstractions in the same file as the main patch if i want to, in the
same way that I can do that with procedures and classes in any programming
language.

> Having abstractions inside a patch is not aggressive abstraction but
> only leads to many copies of functionality, that then isn't abstracted
> (inside a patch file).

What i want is: if I have an abstraction that is saved in the same file as
my patch, then right-click open on any instance will get me to that
abstraction, the same one; there would be only one diagram for all
instances.