[PD] graph on parent matrix mixer

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Feb 4 23:11:17 CET 2003

Hallo,
pix hat gesagt: // pix wrote:

> actually no i don't know that, and if you care to explain how to do it i'd
> be very appreciative.. i'm hoping i'm missing something really obvious.
>
> i've read your other notes about it, but i don't see how you can control
> which part of your abstraction is visible in the parent without framing it
> inside the edit window, as this seems to be the basis of the scaling.. i
> imagine it's possible to avoid the window scaling by editing values in the
> text file directly, but this invalidates any attempt at useful gui
> trickery.

I never edited the textfile for GOP directly. The way I work is like I
described in one of the previous messages, but to see it in practice
you might want to take a look at my old GOP patches, angriff and the
sseq sequencers. [1]

Opened they have a comfortable size like normal abstractions, but used
as an abstraction they take a totally different size. I did this by
scaling the GOP-child from the parent (via the "Properties" dialog in
the parent), and then saving the *child* patch when I was satisfied
with the layout.

I found it rather important to have the gui elements free of patch
cords, i.e. use a lot of internal send and receives [made local with
$0], because I found that I'm constantly moving around the objects to
make it nice. Miller once wrote here, that he would consider making
opened GOPs transparent in the parent, so that this task would be
easier. I would appreciate that solution very much.
(Hint, hint, wink, wink ;)

[1]
http://footils.org/pkg/angriff-0.4.tgz
http://footils.org/cgi-bin/cms/?show_article=13