[PD] pd -nogui , cpuload

Pall Thayer pall at fa.is
Sat Feb 8 21:45:30 CET 2003

Hey, I've been experiencing a similar problem. I had two patches running
with -nogui both had netreceives and both were streaming mp3 and both
were running at about 1.5 % cpu each. But as soon as I added a third
patch the cpu load skyrockets to about 60%. Sometimes it's just one of
the patches running at about 55% and sometimes it seems to be
distributed between the three patches and each of them shows about 15 -
20%. Really weird. I've also tried various combinations of the patches
to see if one of them is the problem but it doesn't matter which two of
the three run together, they just use 1.5% each but as soon as I add a
third, it goes up to 50 - 60%. Another strange thing is that I tried
running all three on another, similar machine with the exact same setup
and there, all three ran at only about 0.9% each.

This is using pd 36 on redhat 7.3, 600mhz celeron
The patches are pretty basic, they all use netreceive, route,
delread/write~,mp3cast~ and buzz~. Aside from that it's just osc~ and
phasor~ stuff.

If there's some way to resolve the problem I'd love to hear it.

Pall