[PD] remote pd-gui

Johannes Taelman Johannes.Taelman at rug.ac.be
Sun Feb 9 18:18:48 CET 2003

Hi all,

As indicated in "pd -help" it is possible to run the gui on a remote
machine. Seems perfect for patching with my xbox. But I didn't find more
documentation about this feature. After some puzzling I'm using this
command now to invoke pd remotely:

jxbox:~# pd -alsa -verbose -noadc -r 48000 -blocksize 256 -audiobuf 20
-nomidi -guicmd "rsh xi \"/usr/local/lib/pd/bin/pd-gui 5400 jxbox -display
:0\""

Where jxbox is my xbox (where I run the patch) and xi is my desktop
machine (where I get the gui). Is this the right way to do it? I notice
that pd chooses another portnumber when 5400 is in use (by eg. another pd
session). Is there a possibility to pass the actual portnumber to pd-gui?
Is this a *nix-only feature or can this work on win32 too?

Anyway, once again I'm amazed by the power of pd.

 j#|@