[PD] remote pd-gui

Johannes Taelman Johannes.Taelman at rug.ac.be
Sun Feb 9 22:08:27 CET 2003

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Miller Puckette wrote:

> Sorry, no way to override the "5400" (there ought to be one!)... also,
> you'l have a surprise when oyu run "open" and "save" dialogs: they see
> files on the GUI machine but Pd will then try to read or write on the other
> one!

I was surprised to see the files on my desktop machine indeed. I'll setup
a homonymous nfs filesharing, I think that will avoid this issue cleanly.

> I've used this feature only once so far.  It might turn out to be useful for
> running Pd on PDAs and such.

...and XBOX'es. My XBOX is happily running pd, pdp, webcam input, audio
output and fullscreen tv pdp output, without a keyboard or mouse attached,
while the gui is on my desktop. Running X across the net is also possible,
but less efficient I guess. And I'd get the pdp output at the wrong
display.

Would it be possible to suspend and resume pd-gui connections? So that a
pd keeps running when something happens to the network. Or have multiple
pd-gui's talking to one pd-engine for collaborative remote work on
pd-LAN-parties? I tried running a 2nd instance of pd-gui, but it shows up
dead. Anyway it's just an idea. "-guicmd" is very useful as-is for me.

 j#|@