[PD] Wanted: RME Hammerfall experiences [HELP!]

Derek Holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Feb 12 00:16:40 CET 2003

Hammerfall experiences...geez, where do I start????

Under WinNT, my Card Bus Hammerfall DSP is a dream. Under Linux, a nightmare! It
has been the bane of my Linux existance ever since getting involved with it. I
have promised the heavens above that if I can get it properly configured, I will
remove windoze from my HD and never once look back....

heres the deal:

I have followed the advice from the page dieb13 at klingt put up about .conf files,
I have followed ALSA tips from the Turn Key Audio page as well as from
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/ALSA.html#Downloading%20ALSA

I BELEIVE my cardbus/pcmcia to be working properly... although it might be hard
for me to prove it to you...

and... the Host Error light on the Multiface isnt blinking at me anymore after
the pcmcia modules load [for what that is worth!]

I installed ALSA and configured it --with-cards=hdsp ..blah blah blah
but when i restart ALSA services and try to modprobe snd-hdsp, what i get is:

Module snd-hammerfall-mem loaded, with warnings
/lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.o.gz: init_module:
No such device
Hint: insmod erros can be caused by incorrect modules parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
     You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
modprobe: /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.o.gz failed
modprobe: insmod snd-hdsp failed

i check dmesg.......

dmesg reports no Hammerfall cards found

so... what is the deal? i have pasted my modules.conf below, in case anyone
wants to look.... is there another name i should use for this card? cmipci?
rme9652? rme96x?

any help for this bewildered linux newbie appreciated.
derek

================

/etc/modules.conf

options snd-hammerfall-mem snd-enable=1
options snd-hdsp snd_line_outs_monitor=1

alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore

probeall scsi_hostadapter usb-storage
alias eth0 8139too
alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
alias sound-slot-1 snd-hdsp
probeall usb-interface usb-uhci

alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss # /dev/dsp0
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss # /dev/adsp0

alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss # /dev/dsp1
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss # /dev/adsp1
alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss