[PD] PD usability

Thomas Grill t.grill at gmx.net
Wed Feb 12 18:15:31 CET 2003

Hi Marc,
i'm still working mostly with Max/MSP because of the mentioned optical
issues. (i don't care about segmented patch cords but there are many more
reasons why Max is preferable, for example colors, fonts, free box sizes,
patcher in a box, poly~). There's currently (at least for me) no way to make
intuitive performance patches with PD. The other thing is that audio
performance (e.g. latency) and flexibility of Max/MSP is better in most
cases.
However there are other reasons why i'm interested in PD. It's free, it's
lightweight and it's much more stable. In this sense, i do use PD for sound
installations and the likes. The most prominent advantage is of course the
principal point that one can take peek into the code, spot problems or
modify it according to one's needs.

I've complained a few times that PD suffers (to my mind) from the following
problems:
- source code documentation is hardly existent, hence it cost me a lot of to
understand what it's going on in there.
- there is a nasty entanglement of the messaging/dsp core with the GUI
subsystem
- the current TCL/TK GUI hinders all kind of interesting GUI stuff
- the audio-IO is not changeable at run-time (... i heard this will change
in 0.37)
- installation and configuration is still notoriously complicated for people
that are not that familiar with system issues

The change of the GUI is the most important thing and all i can say is that
i'm working on it.
There are a lot of things that need to be changed for that and there are
other things that should be changed at the same time.
My vision is a true modular system with the well-functioning messaging and
DSP core of PD (and an API to query and interface it) and strictly separated
IO, GUI and networking subsystems. A change like that would not necessarily
break all backward-compatibility (except those a graphical externals).
I'm working on these things but i'm not sure if they'll make it into the PD
development branches. I started on restructuring everything and i'm not sure
if it's still PD when that process is finished. (or maybe i fail on doing
it)

best greetings,
Thomas