[PD] PD usability

David McCallum 8dngm at qlink.queensu.ca
Wed Feb 12 22:15:22 CET 2003

At 10:01 PM 12/02/2003 +0100, Yves Degoyon wrote:
>PD doesn't have to imitate MAX in any way,
>people coming from MAX have to adapt
>( and to learn how to compile )

         You're all right, the average user should know how to compile the
software they receive. And while we're at it why don't we boycott car
manufacturers to sell unassembled cars. Shouldn't all cars be assembled by
their drivers?

         I don't have time to learn how to assemble a car. I have other
things to do with my life, like make music.

         The whole debate of "the user" just really gets ingratiating after
a while. Some people take the time to learn how to assemble cars. Some
people take the time to learn to programme, but does that mean the
programmers shouldn't be driving if they don't know how to put the car
together?

         I think the car analogy may be a little thin, but the point's been
made.

         Man, this topic's really fired people up...

         Pertaining to the topic: Max is a little prettier than Pd, but I
think the usability quirks in Pd are *extremely* minor. Mac users just want
Aqua *everywhere*.

.
. David McCallum
.  Music wants to be free