[PD] GEM on linux questions

Stephan Bourgeois strangelv at lycos.co.uk
Wed Feb 12 22:25:58 CET 2003

Hello everybody,

I am new to PD and GEM and I have a few questions. I am using RedHat 7.3
with the nVidia modules and a TNT2 card. And after reading the much
heated dbate on PD usability, I must say that I come from a 3d computer
graphics background and a on the music front from using cSound +
Cecilia. And I found PD very useable so far. Here are my questions :

1. GEM kills the X11 server when I send a [destroy( message to [gemwin].
Is this normal ? A way round the problem is to : stop rendering, close
the OpenGL window from the desktop, then close the PD project window, at
which stage PD will crash  "pd_gui: pd process exited".

2. I have had great fun with [pix_coordinate]. Fortunately there are
very good OpenGL tutorials on the web, maybe the manual could point to
them. [pix_coordinate] works fine with [cube], but it doesn't seem to
have any effect on [cylinder] or [sphere], is this normal ?

3. Is there a way I can save to disk a snapshot of the OpenGL
framebuffer ? I have played with [pix_snap] but I don't know how to
write the framebuffer into a file.

Thanks.
Stephan.