[PD] GRIPD won't run.

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Feb 14 23:48:33 CET 2003

Hallo,
> On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Miller Puckette wrote:
>
> > On the subject of "why Pd GUIs are bad in performance" check out
> > GrIPD, Joe Sarlo's GTK-based GUI builder for Pd:
> > http://crca.ucsd.edu/~jsarlo/

Hm, I tried to try gripd now, as I found, that I now have a
wxgtk2.3-python installed on Debian, yep. But it won't start.
The only message I get, when trying to open a .gpd file is:

GrIPD: Using port 3490
GrIPD: Waiting for a connection...
GrIPD: Error launching gripd.py: No such file or directory

Around line 640 in gripd.c, there is this

            if ((execlp(pythExec, pythExec, filename, portString,
                 "1", lockedString, (char *)0)) == -1)

which seems to fail. I change the source a bit to post() pythExec and
this gives this:

pythExec: /usr/bin/../gripd/gripd

when trying to "open ../gripd/examples/fmsynth.gpd" as well as when
trying to "open /full/path/to/gripd/examples/fmsynth.gpd".

I don't quite get, why gripd looks for itself in /usr/gripd/gripd (ok,
it's relative to /usr/bin/pd, but this is not very FHS compliant) and
how do I change that?

ciao