[PD] GRIPD won't run.

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Feb 16 00:09:20 CET 2003

Hallo,
Joseph A. Sarlo hat gesagt: // Joseph A. Sarlo wrote:

> Is it possible that your setup has the gripd python script (the file gripd
> or gripd.py in older versions)owned by root or has setuid bit set for gripd?
> The gripd pd object tries to drop setuid root privileges before running the
> python script by setting the effective user id to the actual userid (line
> 587 of gripd.c).

I checked the permissions of the relevant files: the gripd
distribution has all my userid and no s-bit set, python is owned by
root.root, but also without suid.

I did remove the suid bit of /usr/bin/pd temporarily and then gripd
opens its window just fine. Changing it back: no success again.

But then I did some RTFM, and voila, the manpage for seteuid ist the
same as the one for setegid ;) and I suspected, that something is
wrong with the *group*id. It was, /usr/bin/pd had g+s set. I remove
this, and now I can enjoy gripd.

As a thank you for your help and patience, here's what I added at the
end of the makefile, because I got tired doing it by hand ^_^
#
.PHONY: clean
clean:
        rm -f gripd.pd_linux ../gripd.pd_linux *.o
#

ciao