[PD] Circular buffer

matthew jones M.Jones at signal.qinetiq.com
Tue Feb 18 13:08:08 CET 2003

Hi,

I'm looking to eliminate latency in my recording so I've been thinking about
continually storing each adc input into a buffer (that is at least my
latency in size) circularly, ie when it gets to the end it starts at the
beginning.

Now I imagine I could do this with [tabwrite~] and a [metro] object, but
this might not be sample accurate.  Anyhow, I know from experience that
circular buffers are often used (and may already be used by pd) and easily
coded in, say, assembler on DSP's.  I think directx does this kind of thing
aoutomatically anyway...but I'm using ASIO.  So, anyone got any idea of how
to implement an efficient, sample accurate circular buffer in pd??

cheers

Matt