[PD] pd performances

Josh Steiner joschi at eds.org
Thu Feb 20 22:14:56 CET 2003

J. Scott Hildebrand wrote:

>    hey,
>
>          is there any artists or professionals that use pd and/or
>framestein or GEM in actual recordings, performances or industry?

maybe i dont understand how you define "artist" because i just sent you
a link to some working artists using pd/framestein.  there are tons of
real working artists using this stuff.  here's another one (one of my
favorites) :

http://www.project-id.at/

its a permanent sound sculpture installation in vienna... i havn't had a
chacne to see it in person, but you can listen to a live audio stream on
their site.

i made an installation using pd for a burningman sculpture last year
(dont have a website yet).

my brother and i did a sound installation for an event in a 130 year old
abandoned subway tunnel a few months ago.

>          i'm trying to understand the scope of it's use and what kind of
>people use it primarily. i'm tempted to think that only REALLY tech-savvy
>people are into it because it seems inaccessable to purely artist-type
>people. any info is appreaciated!

its definitely for the tech savvy, i'm not sure it will ever not be.  it
is a media programming language afterall.  i'm sure as time progresses
we will see things built with pd meant to be used by the less tech savvy.

independent u.s. drum'n'bass -- http://vitriolix.com