[PD] PD 4 EM

matthew jones M.Jones at signal.qinetiq.com
Fri Feb 21 12:34:50 CET 2003

Hi Jim,

I'm quite new to pd (4 months or so) and have been raving about it to
everyone I know since.  It does everything I wanted it to do and has enabled
me to produce a music performance tool that I didn't dream I'd be able to
produce without purchasing a *very* expensive dedicated DSP card...
regarding Guilherme's response:-

>Regarding the recent usability thread, I must say I adapted very quickly to
>the pd environment.
I would agree entirely; I got some nice programs going the day after I
downloaded it, though I do come from a 'soft' programming environment (ie I
don't delve inside the works of computers at all, but use programming
languages regularly).

> 1) What do you use Pd for? Have you used it in any performances or
> recordings you'd like others to know about?

Live loop-sampling.  I have done 1 performance so far, and it went really
well.  I was looking for looping devices for years (www.loopers-delight.com)
and none of them did what I wanted.  so I wrote my own with midi triggers
and multichannel......

> 2) Are there musical tasks that you feel Pd is *not* especially well
> suited for? What are they? Are there limitations you're hoping will be
> addressed in future updates?

Probably not good if you're looking to rewrite a program like Logic. better
to go and buy it.  also sound file editing is not the best due to it's
limited built-in graphical environment (though there are ways...)
Limitations? shortcomings? I would say documentation mayB, so this is not a
major issue with pd itself.  which leads me to:-

> 3) What are your favorite online resources for learning Pd and/or
> extending it?

If I'm really stuck I ask the mailing list (thanks to all those helpers!)
though I usually learn by trying and reading.  as for extending it, well I
don't do much of that...

so yes, maybe it's better not to quote me (apart from the fact I may have
shpoken in error, I have thish very annoying lishp...)

hope itsh shum help

Matt