Lisp in PD / Re: [PD] QUICKBASIC

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Sun Feb 23 01:45:46 CET 2003

On Saturday 22 February 2003 15:08, david casal wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Larry Troxler wrote:
> > This is a really commonly requested feature, which I'd like to tackle as
> > soon as my work on the COBOL plug in is done :-)
>
> COBOL?!?! Wow.

Hey! I wasn't being serious there!

> I am putting together a few pages a documentation on PD scripting (your
> Scheme object, Grill's py/pyext), geared towards people new to the options
> available in PD for scripting and how to get started.

About the scheme object: some time ago I asked on this list if anyone was
using it, and the consensus was that it wasn't worth the effort for me to
maintain (the version I'm using has some stuff that I haven't posted yet).

If this was wrong, and anybody finds pdscheme usefull, please let me know and
I'll update the code and documentation.

If I find the time, I think it would be more usefull to implement something
using Guile instead of SIOD. The advantage of SIOD was that it's really
small, and was really easy to integrate, but it's not a standard Scheme. A
bonus with Guile would be that  Common Music (
http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/software/cm/doc/cm.html ) runs on it.

A different approach would be to some PD infrastructure to interface to a
Common Lisp implementation through a socket (where you could also run Common
Music).

The two approaches have their advantages and disadvantages. I'll save
enumerating them for another message. I'd really like to hear which of these
approaches (or a third) PD lisper's think would be most worth the effort.

Larry Troxler