[PD] Force Feedback Joysticks

PT147 at mdx.ac.uk PT147 at mdx.ac.uk
Sat Mar 1 13:31:31 CET 2003

I brought an M$ force feedback joystick about a year ago, with the
intension of using it with stuff like pd (and the odd game).  I haven't
really used it a great deal since then, although I am still interested
in doing so.  I'm running windows, so if I were to implement anything,
it would probably be directX flavoured...  Might get linux up and
running on my machine at some point.  I don't have any real programming
experience, although I might start dipping my toes in.

The SDK's I've seen for forcefeedback, and the literature on programming
it, has always worked in terms of playing back specific "effects", like
samples, rather than just generally having direct dynamic control of
forces in x and y.  I might be missing something...  Anyway, I guess in
practical terms of pd externals, we're probably going to need quite
seperate solutions.  I don't know if the way immersion devices
communicate is different from microsoft, but clearly windows and mac os
are going to be different.

Good to hear of someone who's doing this.

Peter