[PD] Gem B3 on g4 733 with Nvidia card

Me tigital at mac.com
Thu Mar 6 22:30:32 CET 2003

On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 01:52  PM, bbogart wrote:

> Hello Mac guys,
>
> I had a little more time today to try and get gem beta 3 to work on my
> machine, without any luck. I have recently upgraded to 10.2.

hey ben,

...wow, I'm glad ya finally got 10.2!  Sorry it didn't work right the
first try ;-P

> I have the stock nvidia card that came with the 733 (geforce2 I think)
> and I added an ATI xclaim VR (for video output)

...funny thing is that I'm currently working on a theatre performance,
and the computer sounds exactly like yours (733 quicksilver(?),
geforce2mx main card, 2 radeon pci output cards, 1.5GB RAM)!  I would
strongly recommend using one of chris' pre-compiled binaries of GEM,
cuz ALOT of stuff has happened since b3 ;-)...I really need to put an
updated one on my site, too...it'd probably be better for us to keep
one of these on the sourceforge site, too...

...anyway, I'll have lots more to say about this tommorrow;  that's
when I'll be doing some output testing down at the theatre...I'll let
ya know what I find out!

> Does this give any indication as to the problem, seems to do the same
> thing if I put the PD window on the second screen and try creating a
> gem window.

...all it says now is that we aren't getting what we want;  it's not
very forgiving, yet ;-)  One thought:  is the 2nd monitor already set
to 640x480?  If not, try that (before [create window]), cuz I'm not
sure it's good for changing external monitor sizes...another problem
might be the pixel size, which currently is 32, and there's not yet an
attempt to "step down" to 24 if the request for 32 fails...

...as it is now, GEM will always try to take over the monitor that
doesn't have the OSX's "menu bar":  this was the easy 'hack', and will
hopefully change soon, now that I have another machine with multiple
output cards (not to mention a personal need for the feature ;-)  )

> Hope to get it fixed I really wanna try the firewire video input
> stuff!!!

I'll try to make the wait worth it!

l8r,
jamie