[PD] could OSC support tcp?

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Sun Mar 16 15:13:10 CET 2003

On Sunday 16 March 2003 03:00, Andy Schmeder wrote:
> OSC is itself a protocol which is completely independent of the choice of
> transport method.

OSC seems really interesting, but is it a smart thing not to specify the
transport protocol? So far I've seen only one hardware synth (Reaktor) that
supports it. Is any commercial manufacturer really going to replace MIDI with
this if the transport method isn't specified? I suppose that Ethernet over
UDP would be a logical choice, but it would still be somewhat of a gamble on
the part of the first manufacturer to implement it, hoping that the others
would follow suit.

Or am I missing something here?

Larry Troxler