[PD] [OT] operating systems?

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Wed Mar 19 04:18:23 CET 2003

On Tuesday 18 March 2003 02:53, Brian Redfern wrote:
> I've found redhat 8.0 with the planet ccrma packages is the easiest way t
> go for me.

That's what I've based my new hard drive installation on - first RH 8.0, then
planet CCRMA, then unfortunately needing to get the latest rosegarden, jack,
and pd from CVS - currently something seems to be seriously amiss in jack
with this setup.

Biggest problem with redhat 8.0, in my experience, is not with music, but with
the mainstream applications like the web browsers and file navigators. They
are very slow compared to my previous installation (loosely based on Redhat
7.1). For example, Konqueror on my 800 Mhz, 128MB Athlon, takes at least 12
seconds to launch if it is not already in the cache, where Netscape 4 seemed
to be a lot faster, and same for the file navigators, and email applications.
I just get the overall impression that the snapshot of applications is
bloated compared to previous RedHat releases.

Either that, or I have some sort to serious optimization missing.

Larry Troxler