[PD] Spectral Synthesis

Tom Schouten doelie at zzz.kotnet.org
Fri Jun 20 15:58:49 CEST 2003

On Friday 20 June 2003 14:37, julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net wrote:

hi julien,

creb (http://zwizwa.fartit.com/pd/creb) has some extra objects to do spectral
synthesis, with the ability to do separate pitch and timbre synthesis using
the dynwav~ object.

dynwav is like tabread~, only it uses a dsp buffer as the wave table. you can
set it's size using the block~ object. this is not really necessary, but it
eliminates the need to use an array. it also interpolates between 2
successive buffers, so you don't need to care about overlap adding either.

there are some other objects you can use

* diag~ and bdiag~: diagonal and block diagonal state space systems, to
generate spectral data.

* bfft~ / ibfft~: a (normalized) (i)fft with a different data ordering than
pd's rfft~: (DC, NY, 1R, 1I, 2R, 2I, ...) the different ordering works better
with diag~ and bdiag~. (if you combine bdiag~ with ibfft~ you get a form of
scanned synthesis / additive synthesis hybrid). also, if you send a
continuous signal (i.e a sine) as a spectrum, this ordering is easier to use
if you don't care to much about the phase of the sines.

* dwt~ / idwt~: periodic biorthogonal interpolating wavelets. can be used
instead of fft to build the spectra.

* fblock / tblock: these are abstractions to create spectra using osc~ or
phasor~ or similar objects. it enables you to set the number of oscillations
in a buffer and the shift (drift) of the waveform independently. i.e. to
construct a comb filter effect.

hope this is useful,

tom