[PD] denormalized numbers bugfix in PD

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Fri Sep 19 12:40:02 CEST 2003

Thomas Grill schrieb:
> - i don't think that there are too many places where a denormalisation can
> frequently happen. I'd find it better to introduce an additional external
>     object (like bitsafe in max) which can correct the signal for more
> occasional denormal situations.

This could be an additional option for 'odd' combinations of objects.
I've found that some externals (freeverb~, for example) really need
denormalisation within the external. Otherwise one single freeverb~
object would block the whole machine. There are also some native Pd
object that would need it (e.g. some of the filters do). So I think it
would be a good idea to add the code where it is known that
denormalisation can happen. The extra CPU load for checking for
denormals (where it is likely to find them) is probably less a pain then
the 100% CPU spikes that _will_ sooner or later occur otherwise.

Olaf