[PD] dynamic-named arrays

ben at ekran.org ben at ekran.org
Fri Oct 3 16:13:33 CEST 2003

I think the design thought is that an abstraction is just that, a small
patch that can be used in multiple contexts, and therefore you should be
able to load it like an external.

Subpatches are particular to the current patch, not "abstract" (not in the
same way anyhow). I think of subpatches as more for cleaning up, not
creating multiple levels of abtsraction in a patch. The abstraction can
tune itself to whatever patch its in via the creation arguments, a
subpatch is made to do a certain thing in a patch, so does it need to be
as flexible?

I don't think it would be a bad thing to have arguments in a subpatch, but
I can see little reason why you would do this rather than using an
abstraction. (other than being able to stick everything in one file, but
if you are writing a subpatch that needs to tune itself to the
circumstances than why not make it abstract enough to be used in other
patches?

Ben