[PD] Re: off thread

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Fri Oct 10 09:16:16 CEST 2003

Why are you suggesting fink at all for the OSX version of GEM??
There are no fink packages that will work with GEM - everything
needed comes with OSX (and is for the most part far better than what
you could pull out of fink anyway).  So simply put: there are
precisely 0 things to install on an OSX box to get GEM working.  You
can take a Mac out of the shrink-wrap, boot it, download or copy the
pd and GEM binaries onto the machine and start using them both.  I've
actually done this.

Any problems with loading GEM have to do with incorrect paths or
permissions or the like, and problems running GEM almost always come
down to hardware problems or someone is trying to run it on a system
prior to 10.2.  I guess we'll have to throw a big error message in
the startup informing users of the latter.

cgc