[PD] Problems starting PD In OSX

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Oct 24 14:30:42 CEST 2003

On Friday, Oct 24, 2003, at 03:52 America/New_York, Umiachi wrote:

> I took the advice of those here only to discover all
> copies of 0.37 involve me going into my terminal and
> using "./configure" to get the application executable.
>
> I decided to regress to version .36 and got it to
> load, but recieved this message upon first open
>
> //*
>
> [12-224-175-158:~] enon% /Applications/Pd.command;
> exit
> could not open midi input device number 1: Invalid
> device ID.
> using default input device number: 0
> using default output device number: 2
> nchan 2, flags 3, bufs 8, framesperbuf 256
> realtime setting failed because not root

None of these errors are fatal, meaning Pd will work despite these
errors.

> could not open midi input device number 1: Invalid
> device ID.

means that Pd couldn't open MIDI device 1, mostly likely because it
doesn't exist.  device 0 is the first MIDI device, 1 is the second.

> realtime setting failed because not root

Apparently, this has no substantial effect on MacOS X, only on linux.
So it doesn't matter.

> *//
>
> This doesn't sound good. Can somebody translate this
> form me?
>
> I'd like to explore .37, could somebody used to
> installing it on OSX be kind enough to contact me
> privately for assistance? I'd be most appreciative.
>
> btw - I'm using a M-audio quattro.

If you just want to get Pd running, then you don't need to compile it.
You can use the installer:

http://www.pure-data.org/downloads

click on "pure data", then download
"PureDataInstaller-0.37-2003.10.03.dmg."  You will not need to open the
Terminal at all to get Pd working if you use the installer.

.hc