[PD] Re: destructor never called in pyext

Thomas Grill t.grill at gmx.net
Sun Nov 16 23:58:18 CET 2003

> Hi thomas, it's me again :)
> in my pyext script, __del__ is never called (when "reload" or cutting the
> object in pd'gui) but __init__ is called without trouble. i looked
> at the pyext source and i spotted the __init__ calling in
pyext::SetClssMeth()
> but i failed to spot the __del__. how the destructor can be called ?

Hi Jerome, as far as i know, the destructor is called by Python when the
garbage collector cleans up the unused objects - it's never called directly
by pyext. It's my observation that this can happen immediately after a
reference count goes to zero, but it depends on your code when this happens.
Btw, if you are subscribed to the pd list you should ask your questions
there, since other users could be interested in them as well. I cc my answer
to the list.

best greetings,
Thomas