[PD] Error on non-existent receiver - why?

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Sat Dec 6 23:49:24 CET 2003

On PD 0.36-devel (yes I know I need to upgrade), I get an error on the console
when sending to a non-existing receiver ("no such object"). This is on Linux.

I seem to rember that this "problem" has always existed in PD; hence I wonder
if this is actually not a bug but the desired behavior.

If it's the way it's supposed to work, what is the reasoning behind it? I
can't see any advantages to triggering an error message when a receiver
doesn't exist (well only one - catching typos).

The existing behavior makes it difficult to design and perform with patches
that broadcast information through messages, because (obviously) unless there
is a receiver loaded, you'll get a console error message, with all the
associated latency problems.

I suppose a work-around is to put dummy receiver objects on the patch that
does the sending, but it would be nicer if we got rid of this error message
that isn't really an error at all.

Larry Troxler