[PD] nForce chipset [cheap rigs]

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104-1.ucsd.edu
Mon Dec 15 17:11:40 CET 2003

Just my two cents...

the "barebones" boxes such as Shuttle XPCs seem to go for about $300 for
a recent model ($250 for obsolete chipsets).  This is to be compared with
buying a box and motherboard ala carte ($50 + $70; Pricewatch prices.)  A
very good machine in the U.S. should now cost you:
case $50
mobo 70
CPU 85
memory 70
disk 60
CDRW 50
quiet CPU fan $20
---
$405

This does not include audio hardware (Midiman delta 44 is top-notch
and costs 250), nor monitor, keyboard, & mouse...

You can build a machine that runs 10% faster than this, but it will cost
50% more!

cheers
Miller