[PD] Re: [PD-announce] k_guile v0.0.1

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Sun Jan 11 16:56:29 CET 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Larry Troxler wrote:

> On Monday 05 January 2004 12:10, Michal Seta wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 06:15, Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen wrote:
> > > k_guile is a guile PD external.
> >
> > wow.  cool.  Common Music within pd is now possible...
>
> Yes, very nice. I think this officially obsoletes my pd_scheme library. (It
> was built on Scheme In One Day, which isn't a full-featured standard Scheme).
>
> Kjetil, I see you took a different approach than I did, one that is a bit
> simpler. In my case a single interpreter is loaded as a library, which loads
> scheme source code that defines various PD objects that can be instantiated.
> These objects can then communicate with eachother using scheme.

Yes, I looked at your external. And I think your solution is prettier in
a way, but also harder to understand, and not very much more powerful, so
I did it "my way". ;)

> Your approach definitely has the advantage of simplicity though, and in
> practice it may not be any less powerfull.
>
> For running something like Common Music (Michal, have you tried it yet?) it
> would probably be nice to be able to run scheme in a seperate thread, so that
> long computations and garbage collection don't cause dropouts.

When using realtime priority on the audio thread, any non-realtime thread
shouldn't cause a dropout... At least in linux. Perhaps it can in macosX?
So I'm not too eager to add threads-support. However, guile does support
threads (documented in the manual), so perhaps the pd-* functions should
be made thread-safe? If there is a demand, it shouldn't be to hard to do.

> But I think
> that running this external in a second PD connected to the primary one with
> netsend and netreceive should work, right?

Should work.