[PD] Re: [PD-dev] SourceForge "Donations"

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Sun Jan 25 16:31:20 CET 2004

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Thomas Grill wrote:
> - Given that, 100$ within 5 months can't pay my rent, so i'll have to charge
> some money for upcoming developments. None of the current packages will be
> involved, including flext, but some large future packages will. Clearly,
> these will have functionality that none of the currently published
> PD-related stuff has, otherwise it won't make any sense.

Hi,

I think this discussion is very interesting. One thing that I start
to understand is why it is so hard to build up a developers community
in pd.

But, no matter what features your software will have, selling software
depends on marketing and brands (I mean, if Windows wasn't that well known
and used, who in the world would buy this crap ;) ?)

So you are taking advantage of an infrastructure and a market value that
is built up on the fame of Miller Puckette and on the work and support
of dozens of others.

Well, unfortunately I can't help you to find a job that makes you happy
and pays your rent, but I think, that selling commercial addons to pd
might not be the job that makes you happy either.

This doesn't mean that I am against your plans, not at all, but I doubt
that it will work out.

Guenter