[PD] Text Functions

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Feb 12 18:46:42 CET 2004

Hallo,
mdk hat gesagt: // mdk wrote:

> im no PD expert, but maybe one avenue worth investigating is finding the
> appropriate software (hopefully something open-source) that does the
> word recognition and spell checking then getting that to send control
> data to PD via netsend / netreceive.
>
> Perl seems to be the obvious candidate for its text munging
> capabilities, and theres some simple code on the pure-data.org site for
> a perl client that can talk to PD.
>
> http://www.pure-data.org/Members/kogger/netperlpd/view
>
> just an idea.

A good idea IMO - although I would prefer Python as in
http://www.pure-data.org/Members/fbar/tools/pdsender.py/view which I
find easier to learn as well and you could even run it inside Pd. I
would run it outside, though.

Pd's own string handling capabilities are *very* limited. In a more
text oriented full programming language like Python you get a lot of
support for string handling, maybe you'll even find a binding directly
to (i)spell.

ciao