[PD] Getting linuxevent to work with a Contour ShuttleXpress

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Feb 13 19:49:34 CET 2004

Hallo,

(sorry for crossposting, but this might be a Linux-using problem on my
side.)

I have a new toy (I couldn't resist, it's so cute): a Contour
ShuttleXpress USB Jog/Shuttle control surface, info at
http://contourdesign.com

Now of course I'm trying to make use of it in Pd on Linux. It is
recognized by the kernel as a HID device, and it is producing vrious
characters when doing "cat /dev/input/event3"

So I built Hans-Christoph's linuxevent from current pure-data.sf.net
CVS, which turned up a first problem: EV_RST isn't defined, but used
in linuxevent.c and linuxjoystick.c There is no EV_RST in
/usr/include/linux/input.h I just commented the offending two lines,
after that it builds and loads.

Creating a [linuxevent /dev/input/event3] object shows this:

#========
Configuring Contour Design ShuttleXpress on /dev/input/event3
Supported events:
 Reset (type 0)
    Event code 0 (Reset)
    Event code 1 (Key)
    Event code 2 (Relative)
 Key (type 1)
    Event code 256 (Btn0)
    Event code 257 (Btn1)
    Event code 258 (Btn2)
    Event code 259 (Btn3)
    Event code 260 (Btn4)
    Event code 261 (Btn5)
    Event code 262 (Btn6)
    Event code 263 (Btn7)
    Event code 264 (Btn8)
    Event code 265 (Btn9)
    Event code 266 (?)
    Event code 267 (?)
    Event code 268 (?)
 Relative (type 2)
    Event code 7 (Dial)
    Event code 8 (Wheel)

Using 2 relative axes, 0 absolute axes, and 13 buttons.
#=======

Actually the device only has five buttons, but probably it's the same
as the ShuttlePRO by Contour internally, which has many buttons more.

Now the problem is: I pressed "start" or "poll" in the help patch, but
there is no movement in linuxevent's output. Also, but this probably
is my fault, one of the ShuttleXpress buttons acts as a right mouse
button, that is, it opens the context menu when in Pd, or the window
manager's root menu, when focus is outside of Pd. I did remove all
references to /dev/input from my XF86Config beforehand.

Does anyone have an idea, why I cannot get the device to play nice
with Pd??

ciao