[PD] error: .x8a96420: no such object

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Tue Mar 23 14:07:41 CET 2004

hi Yves and others,

I see two problems with pd-gui's handling of tcl stuff sent by the
pd layer.

1. The 20k limit can be hit very easily with array redraws, or
with toxy -- the more so, the bigger is the effect of glueing
several commands, and sending them at once.

2. The handler at the pd-gui side, pd_readsocket(), is not
reentrant -- some commands (like tk_getOpenFile) enter event loop,
which might invoke the handler reentrantly, thus overwriting any
additional commands that are glued to the end of the blocking
command.  However, I guess, making pd_readsocket() reentrant would
have to involve some sort of stamping sys_gui data (with serial
numbers?).

Basically, the weakness is of the pd-gui, not of the threading
patch (which sometimes makes that weakness more evident, perhaps).

Krzysztof