[PD] Newbie... OSX-GEM

IVAN Esquinca erbmon at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 2 21:33:25 CEST 2004

Hello...
Well, this is my first letter to this mailing list...Im really new to this
software, Ive found it very interesting and growing...I still learning...  I
decide to use this software for its capabilities in live performances not
only of sound  but also of images.. in this respect, images, GEM is the
external to use, as I understand... nevertheles, I havent been able to run
it... as I say.. Im really new to this... nobody gides me only my eyes thru
the documentation, patches, etc... anyway, I dont know if gem came in the
first compiled pkg version(0.37) or in the next not pakaged version(0.37-1),
wich I install later...
The fact is that varius externals that I dont know yet are in the extra
folder, in this folder is also the gem.pd_darwin file.
In the doc folder are also other "new" folders, these are:  abstractions,
CVS, flext, GEM and tutorials. When I try to run any of the examples in the
GEM folder, a list of errors is printed in the terminal widow.
for example, with redsquare.pd this is printed:

gemwin
... couldn't create
gemhead
... couldn't create
rotate
... couldn't create
color
... couldn't create
square
... couldn't create
01.redSquare.pd 1 0 0 0 (message->text) connection failed
01.redSquare.pd 2 0 8 0 (text->text) connection failed
01.redSquare.pd 3 0 0 0 (message->text) connection failed
01.redSquare.pd 4 0 0 0 (message->text) connection failed
01.redSquare.pd 5 0 0 0 (message->text) connection failed
01.redSquare.pd 6 0 11 0 (text->text) connection failed
01.redSquare.pd 7 0 6 1 (gatom->text) connection failed
01.redSquare.pd 8 0 6 0 (text->text) connection failed
01.redSquare.pd 9 0 8 1 (message->text) connection failed
01.redSquare.pd 10 0 8 1 (message->text) connection failed
01.redSquare.pd 17 0 11 0 (message->text) connection failed
01.redSquare.pd 18 0 11 0 (message->text) connection failed
01.redSquare.pd 19 0 11 0 (message->text) connection failed
01.redSquare.pd 20 0 11 0 (message->text) connection failed

And eventough a window is opened, it is not functional....

In the other hand, I tried to use Jack server for direct the pd sound to
another aplication(a sound editor), and also recive errors...
-first, when I run Pd and the Jack server is not loaded, the terminal window
says that the default conection with Jack server couldnt be stablished( the
preferences of jack server are not configured to be the default
output)...only that, everything seem to work correctly despite this...
-second, when I turn on the Jack server, the first error doesnt apear, but
the output still being the build-in not jack, so, I change the output in the
audio preferences of Pd, and receive this as an answer in the terminal:

Could not create format converter: error = 0x666D743F = 'fmt?'
PaOSX_OpenCommonDevice: PAOSX_DevicePropertyListener failed.
: error = 0x666D743F = 'fmt?'
Error number -10000 occured opening portaudio stream
Error message: Host error.

Dont know if Im doing it right...
I hope some body can help...
still being lost in information...