MacOS X Pd.app WAS Re: [PD] Re: Gaining access to /usr/local/lib/pd/extra in the Finder?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Apr 8 22:50:08 CEST 2004

On Thursday, Apr 8, 2004, at 15:19 America/New_York, 0001 wrote:

>> Hmm, I don't entirely get it based on this description, but I'll take
>> a look at the next uPDated.app when you release it.
> well in short it is not a problem in OSX, it was just my fault
> (starting the impd executable in a diferent directory than the pd
> standard directory tree)
> but it should work in the current version, the blue one. if it doesn't
> I have a problem :)
>

>>> but pd tries to launch the Wish shell no?
>>
>> I could be wrong, but I think that there was a way to specify which
>> Wish Shell.app pd opens.  But its been a while since I looked at it.
> when I looked at it all I saw was that  you could set your $HOME
> directory, and it looks there first. But maybe I was too quick.
> but the problem is that the shell would be started already when
> running AppMain.tcl no? so what we'd need is to tell pd not to start
> Wish.app

Yes, this is probably the correct way to do it, but I think it might be
possible, but a nasty hack, to have AppMain.tcl launch pd.term, then
Tcl/Wish would exit, then pd.term would launch pd, which would in turn
launch the same Wish Shell.app that started the whole process.  Not
clean, but it could work.  It could also possibly be done with a shell
script or even an AppleScript instead of the pd.term file.

I think this would still prevent Pd from getting along with the Dock
fully.  But it could be a stepping stone to a proper AppMain.tcl setup,
which would behave like a normal MacOS X .app in terms of the Dock as
well as so many other things.

____

deliberately throwing it away
to benefit those who profit from scarcity."
							-John Gilmore